In 1923, Alexander Spratt began leasing the Mill business from Dickinson’s children, 26 years after Dickinson’s death. In 1928, purchased the Mill while the Dickinson family continued to live in the house. In 1931, Bessie (Moss’ daughter and last surviving family member) agreed to sell it to Spratt.
Alexander passed away in 1935 after a battle with brain cancer and his still existing waterfront lease with the Dickinson’s (now all deceased) was cancelled in 1940. However, Alexander’s wife continued to run the business until 1946, leasing the Mill to someone else during the 1940s while four of her children were serving in World War II.